Monday 30 December 2013

An Unexpected Miniature


I went to see the second Hobbit film on Saturday, and so impressed was I by the Elves (of course) I picked up the new Legolas miniature the following day. Seeing as it was a sleepy Sunday, he ended up getting built and painted on the same day. It was a nice interlude between all of the Tale of Many Gamers painting.





I'm quite impressed with how he has ended up, especially as I had no hopes prior to painting him, the only aim I had was to get him looking as close to the film depiction as possible. I think in total it took me about 6 hours to get from basecoat to finish, and in my opinion the only thing that brings the model down is that some of the detailing from the molding process didn't seem to have come out that well, especially when I compare the pack shot to what I had constructed.


I think that single character models like this are my favorite to paint as opposed to larger vehicles or squads of rank and file troops, it's probably down to the increased detail on these models allowing me to paint much more variety and also the challenge of bringing all of those details together to make a model that will stand out on the battlefield.


This has encouraged me to pick up Tauriel and the other Mirkwood sets in the future just for the sake of enjoying painting. Sadly, I don't know anyone who plays The Hobbit, so they will probably end up not taking to the field. Also, the bow limit means that even if I did make a warband, I will more than likely have to paint some models that I don't really want to in order to make a legal force. The other thing that would stop me is that these are some damn pricey miniatures when compared to other models in the Games Workshop range.

I guess I'll see what 2014 brings, I have yet to set out some hobby resolutions for the coming year...

No comments:

Post a Comment